The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) says it has not authorised any state Muslim pilgrims’ board to announce Hajj fare for 2019.
The Head, Public Affairs Division of NAHCON, Mrs Fatima Usara, made this known in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.
Usara explained that the indices that determines final fare for hajj are yet to be determined by the commission, state pilgrims’ bureaux and other stakeholders.
“NAHCON wishes to draw attention of the 2019 intending pilgrims in particular and the general public that it has not authourised any state Muslim pilgrims’ board to announce Hajj fare for 2019.”
Usara, however, said that registration of 2019 intending pilgrims in Nigeria had commenced since November 2018.
She explained that the registration requires a tentative deposit of N1.5 million in bank draft, with any of the certified state Muslim pilgrims’ boards, agencies or commissions.
According to her, the deposit can be done fully or by instalments and a copy of the draft should be presented to the respective state board.
Usara warned intending pilgrims against paying cash to any agent or board member as payment was strictly through the banks.
She disclosed that NAHCON had released an updated list of approved 2019 licenced Tour Operators with the corresponding number of slots allocated to each.
“This followed a two-day hearing and verification of claims by the NAHCON committee set up for consideration of appeals by Appellant Companies for 2019 hajj.
“A total of 115 out of 147 companies that applied for the licence have so far been approved to participate in the year’s Umrah and Hajj exercises,” Usara said